When Cultures Collide, 3rd Edition: Leading Across Cultures (Richard Lewis)




As someone who grew up in New Zealand. With a Filipino mother. I consequently spent a lot of time in the Philippines. This book was a very interesting read. I was able to relate to dealing with a lot of cultural differences in the Philippines as an athlete and student. 

hen it also interested me as I completed my bachelors degree in International Relations and International business from International Pacific College, New Zealand 2007 and was exposed to students of several different cultures. 

Working in Australia the culture was more similar to New Zealand and then working again for the second time in the Philippines was a time to fine tune what i had learnt. I never read this book during my time studying Intercultural communication.

Richard Lewis is a speaker of 12 languages and herein lie some clues to his understanding of intercultural communication.

His book avoids the complex academic distinctions seen elsewhere and concentrates on practical understanding of each nation's "collective programming". 

It has helped me to understand how to deal and work with people of other nations with much increased effectiveness. Lewis explains why there are differences, and how we should approach them, using many simple diagrams and patterns. A must for anyone interacting internationally, or indeed with different ethnic groups within their own country.

Comments